Re: Automake Digest, Vol 175, Issue 3

From: Kip Warner
Subject: Re: Automake Digest, Vol 175, Issue 3
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 18:25:57 -0700

On Thu, 2017-09-07 at 10:22 +0200, Thomas Jahns wrote:
> Really the only part, where names need to be included verbatim is in
> so-called automake primaries.

Exactly. And since the full paths are necessary to populate the
_SOURCES primary in order to have the various build and dist rules
function correctly, I think Nick's solution won't work in this
scenario.

> > If you assume a reasonably-POSIXish shell, you can use something
> > like $${i##*/} to strip directory parts instead (I think this form
> > will fail on at least Solaris /bin/sh).
>
> That's an argument in favor of adding the directory part since no
> comparable portability headache applies to
>
> "dir/$$i"

Good call Thomas. It would have been no problem to keep the trailing
slash, and personally I prefer it.

--
Kip Warner | Senior Software Engineer
OpenPGP signed/encrypted mail preferred