Re: [GSoC] Proposal for "Parse Makefile.am using an AST"

From: Matthias Paulmier
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Proposal for "Parse Makefile.am using an AST"
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 13:15:33 +0100

Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Matthias,
>
> Matthias Paulmier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I put up the first draft for my proposal here :
>> <matthias.paulmier.emi.u-bordeaux.fr/proposal.pdf>.
>
> I think this is a good first draft.
>
> A few comments:
>
> - For the “Project” and “Plan” parts, feel free to expand on the
>   functional and non-functional requirements, based on previous
>   discussion (for example the fact that the AST will probably have a
>   coarse grain) and from your personal intuition.  It doesn't matter if
>   your intuition doesn't match with what I have in mind, it will just be
>   a good occasion to discuss the project in more details.

I've added a "Requirements" subsection to the "Project" part. It may be
lacking some things I didn't think of or forgot about.

> - Regarding the example script deliverable, I think you can precise that
>   a set of examples that can be manually tested will be provided.  If it
>   helps you and fit your workflow (for example if you want to do TDD or
>   similar), you can add some automated unit tests however this is not a
>   requirement.

That has been added. As for TDD, I'm not an expert on that but some
tests may be provided during the summer as part of the test suite under
the t/ directory.

> - For the documentation, this doesn't have a high priority.  I will be
>   happy with just some basic docstrings specifying the functional
>   contract of subroutines.

Ok. I let documentation as a general term with that in mind.

>> The communication part still needs to be discussed. As for the plan tell me
>> what
>> you think.
>
> Regarding the communication.  For the weekly status update and
> discussion, if that's OK with you I would rather have a VOIP one on one
> conversation (via Ring or Jitsi) when possible and use email as a
> fallback or complement.  Regarding the instantaneous communication IRC
> is convenient for me.

Sounds good to me. I put Jitsi in the proposal since it doesn't need
registration and I don't have a Ring ID ATM. But I don't have a real
preference.

My draft is online on the GSoC website since it was open on Monday. I
don't know if you have access to that.

Thanks for the feedback.
--
Matthias Paulmier