Re: [GSoC] Proposal accepted

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Proposal accepted
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 20:14:59 +0200

Hello Matthias,

Matthias Paulmier <address@hidden> writes:

> I am very glad to announce that my proposal has been accepted ! I will
> be working this summer on modularizing Automake and improving its test
> suite.

Congrats.

> The community bonding period starts today until May the 14th. I will be
> a bit busy this week with my final exams (I failed to mention it in my
> proposals since I didn't realize those two things would overlap). My
> exams end on Friday.

No problem.

> As explained in my proposal, I will dedicate this period to familiarize
> myself with the Perl programming language as well as Automake's code. If
> anyone has any tips on how to setup my environment for it I will gladly
> take them :) (I'm using Debian GNU/Linux testing and Emacs as my
> editor). I am also looking for good resources on Perl.

It depends on your preference but basically Emacs has 2 major modes for Perl:

  - perl-mode
  - cperl-mode

‘perl-mode’ is the default but you can use ‘cperl-mode’ by adding the
following to your “.emacs”:

   (defalias 'perl-mode 'cperl-mode)

I found it nice to have an interactive interpreter when programming with
perl.  In emacs you can run ‘M-x perldb <RET> perl -d -e ''’ for that.

One important point and not solved yet will be to use tags to navigate
to the definition of a particular subroutine easily.  I will take a look
if the ‘make tags’ result can be fixed.  For now you can use ‘M-x
rgrep‘.

In term of documentation Perl comes with an extensive set of manpages
which consist of tutorials and reference manuals.  In Emacs they can
conveniently be accessed with ‘M-x man <RET> perl’.  ‘perlintro(1)’ is a
good entry point.  You can take a look at the “Learning Perl” book by
Tom Phoenix and Randal Schwartz too.

In order to discover Automake, the best you can do at the beginning is
to compile it (from Git) and report unclear points.  It will be
important to broadly understand Automake from a user perspective before
the coding period, so you can alternate your perl discovery with some
experimentation with Automake by following Automake info manual.

If you have any questions or difficulty in your discovery, you can ask
on the #autotools IRC channel on Freenode or directly to me (my pseudo
is ‘mthl’).

HTH,

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37