Re: automake compile problems

From: Andy Armstrong
Subject: Re: automake compile problems
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 16:12:48 +0000

Hi Eric,

This is on USS (Unix System Services part of an IBM Mainframe). Make is indeed
the version shipped with the vendor as seen below:

make -V
make - Version z/OS Shell and Utilities v2.3

Built-in Rules (cannot be changed):
OS:=OPENMVS
.IMPORT .IGNORE : ROOTDIR
.MAKEFILES:makefile Makefile
.SOURCE : .NULL
@B = $(@:b)
@D = $(@:d)
@F = $(@:f)
%B = $(%:b)
%D = $(%:d)
%F = $(%:f)
*B = $(*:b)
*D = $(*:d)
*F = $(*:f)
<B = $(<:b)
<D = $(<:d)
<F = $(<:f)
?B = $(?:b)
?F = $(?:f)
?D = $(?:d)
System Configuration:
SWITCHAR = -
OSVERSION = 04
OSRELEASE = 26.00
DIRSEPSTR = /
SHELL = /bin/sh
SHELLFLAGS = -c
SHELLMETAS =
GROUPSHELL = /bin/sh
GROUPFLAGS =
GROUPSUFFIX =
MAKEDIR = /u/ibmuser
PWD = /u/ibmuser

--I will try to get a version of GNU Make running and see how that fairs.

To give some context to what I am doing, here is the timeline:

I did have Automake version 1.10, but my ultimate goal here is to compile the
nano text editor, which requires at least automake 1.15 and autoconf 2.69.

I started with Automake 1.10 and Autoconf 2.62 so first upgraded to Autoconf
2.69 (note other bug report with Autoconf reporting incorrect version under
EBCDIC) and now am looking to compile the latest Automake, to give nano the
best chance of compiling successfully.