Re: [GSoC] "Modularize Automake" Final Report

From: Matthias Paulmier
Subject: Re: [GSoC] "Modularize Automake" Final Report
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 19:38:13 +0200

(This email was sent yesterday but I forgot to cc the mailing list)

Hello Mathieu,

Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Matthias,
>
> Matthias Paulmier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>   This summer has overall been a great experience for me as I have
>>   learned a lot about Perl and tests in general.  This was a big
>>   challenge for me as I have never worked on such a large code base (it
>>   may not be much for others but it was quite a significant one for me).
>>   As we have seen above, the project still needs some work as I have
>>   said previously.
>>
>>   As you may know if you follow this list, Mathieu is stepping down as
>>   maintainer of Automake.  The code produced this summer will therefore
>>   not be integrated into the project until someone is taking on that
>>   role and is willing to review the changes.
>>
>>   I am not aware of anyone taking on the role of maintainer of Automake
>>   so far but, when this person is there, I am willing to work with them
>>   to be able to integrate my code into Automake as well as improving or
>>   expanding it (while I will not be as available as this summer i am
>>   still willing to contribute).  Be it partially or in its entirety.  I
>>   think some parts could be very interesting for the project.
>>   Especially the fix of the Perl `XFAIL' tests and the use of the
>>   `Export' module inside Automake.
>
> I really enjoyed reading your detailed and honest report, and even if I
> have not been able to follow the second half of the coding period in
> details, I am pleased with the work you have done.
>
> Even if I stepped down I am still a commiter, so there is nothing
> besides time which prevents me from integrating your work in particular
> if those changes are safe.  In theory, refactoring work can easily be
> reviewed if for example you create one patch for each module extracted
> with its corresponding test.  I recommend to submit those patches
> incrementally to <address@hidden>.

Cool, I didn't realize that (and that there are also other committers).
I'll try submitting them in the coming days, I just need to figure out a
good way of making these patches.  I think I will be submitting the
changes to the test suite first, then the individual modules with their
corresponding tests.

Sorry for the late response, I was taking a small break after submitting
my final report.

--
Matthias Paulmier