autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] Welcome back to autonomo.us

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] Welcome back to autonomo.us
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 23:55:07 -0500

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Luis Villa <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Mike Linksvayer <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 15:02, Luis Villa <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Maybe a good starting point would be a status check now that the group
>> is rebooted- how have things improved/gotten worse since autonomo.us
>> booted up the first time? Hell, I don't even remember when that was
>> now... so maybe that would be a good exercise :)
>>
>> (Sounds like a job for... etherpad! ;)
>
> I'm pretty sure we used gobbly at Franklin St. What does obviousness
> of etherpad say about what has changed? It probably was already
> obvious the web had won for a long time; now it is just mopping up.

In the specific case, Gobby only really works for simultaneous
editing. Etherpad (or a good wiki (hah!)) are better for async
editing. Or maybe to put it better: you've always needed a server for
async collaboration. And once you've got a server, you might as well
make it a webserver.

In the more general case, I think you're basically right, but I'd add
that it isn't mopping up everywhere- where rich, deep UIs can be
quickly, reliably, and easily developed and provisioned, they are
holding their own. It's to the great shame of the free desktop that
none of those adjectives apply to free desktop apps.

Luis

Agree! Even though in Free Desktop we've had APT-stores for ages, app innovation we do not have (and I would argue, never had). We have an innovation on development practice (process-based innovation). Free Software has done well at re-implementation, but on Free Desktop, there are way too many options which has allowed for scattered unfocused development. C, C++, mono, blah blah blah...

The platforms Apple and Google, etc are providing have clear limits on what is allowed, which creates creative constraint for some killer innovation.

The rich deep UI web tech is mostly built on free software. I wonder if we can look at the past and see where the current burst of creativity and innovation will stabilize or rather consolidate on mega-Apple or mega-Google as the monopoly so that our long beard brethren, who right now have funny haircuts and tight jeans but are partially convertible as they age and get pissed off from the mega-consolidation that is happening in startup-land, pick up a shovel and a new free software movement is born, or reborn. Can we see this happening? Or am I dreaming ;)

Jon

--
Jon Phillips
http://rejon.org/ | http://fabricatorz.com/