Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-chat] Kdevelop for avr-gcc?

From: Matthew MacClary
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-chat] Kdevelop for avr-gcc?
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:15:24 -0800

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 08:06:42AM +0530, Kishore wrote:
> > It's under one of the options; you have to change the C compiler (to
> > avr-gcc), linker, etc that the IDE calls. Then you can use kdevelop as
> > an IDE. If you have a nice Makefile, you can also probably use it to
> > program your AVR, too.
>
> The real concern / need for an IDE for me is that in the past i have been
> spoiled by the use of IDEs and hence know nothing about project management
> and makefiles. I would ike to learn, but in my leisure. I would like to know
> a little more about how to get Kdevelop to work with the AVR. Getting the
> make file to simulate / program the chip would be a great add on, but at
> first i would need a makefile to be generated automatically. :)
>
> I'll be hoping to get more information. :)

    I can give your more information about make if you want.  I use
emacs and make as my development environment for all of my AVR
development under FreeBSD and Linux.  It works great for me.  I have a
template Makefile that I always use, modifying it for a new project is
basically a one line change.  This Makefile was included in an example
directory under one of the WinAVR releases actually.
    All you need to do to start a new project using this Makefile is
put the name of your main program file (with no extension) in for "PRG
=".  Change the "MCU_TARGET =" line to the chip you are using.
    This Makefile currently has my latest settings in it. You should
also change the "program:" and "verify:" targets so that it uses the
chip programmer that you actually have installed.  Extra object files
you need should be listed under "OBJ =" and they will be built
automatically. Remember that all of the shell commands in the file
should start with a TAB even if the email doesn't come through that
way.
    After modifying the Makefile, just type "make" from the directory
containing your source code to compile and program the chip.

-Matt

####### Makefile #######

PRG            = tracker
# Change above to the name of your project with NO extension.

OBJ            = $(PRG).o
MCU_TARGET     = atmega128
OPTIMIZE       = -Os    # options are 1, 2, 3, s

DEFS           =
LIBS           = -lm

CC             = avr-gcc

# Override is only needed by avr-lib build system.

override CFLAGS        = -g -Wall $(OPTIMIZE) -mmcu=$(MCU_TARGET) $(DEFS)
override LDFLAGS       = -Wl,-Map,$(PRG).map

OBJCOPY        = avr-objcopy
OBJDUMP        = avr-objdump

program: $(PRG).hex
        uisp -dprog=stk200 -dpart=atmega128 -dlpt=/dev/parport0 --erase
--upload if=$(PRG).hex
#       uisp -dprog=stk200 -dpart=atmega128 -dlpt=/dev/ppi0 --erase --upload
if=$(PRG).hex   # FreeBSD specific

verify: $(PRG).hex
        uisp --verify -dprog=stk200 -dpart=atmega128 -dlpt=/dev/parport0
--erase --upload if=$(PRG).hex
#       uisp --verify -dprog=stk200 -dpart=atmega128 -dlpt=/dev/ppi0 --erase
--upload if=$(PRG).hex   # FreeBSD specific

all: $(PRG).elf lst text eeprom

$(PRG).elf: $(OBJ)
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ $^ $(LIBS)

clean:
        rm -rf *.o $(PRG).elf *.eps *.png *.pdf *.bak
        rm -rf *.lst *.map $(EXTRA_CLEAN_FILES) *~

lst:  $(PRG).lst

%.lst: %.elf
        $(OBJDUMP) -h -S $< > $@

# Rules for building the .text rom images

text: hex bin srec

hex:  $(PRG).hex
bin:  $(PRG).bin
srec: $(PRG).srec

%.hex: %.elf
        $(OBJCOPY) -j .text -j .data -O ihex $< $@

%.srec: %.elf
        $(OBJCOPY) -j .text -j .data -O srec $< $@

%.bin: %.elf
        $(OBJCOPY) -j .text -j .data -O binary $< $@

# Rules for building the .eeprom rom images

eeprom: ehex ebin esrec

ehex:  $(PRG)_eeprom.hex
ebin:  $(PRG)_eeprom.bin
esrec: $(PRG)_eeprom.srec

%_eeprom.hex: %.elf
        $(OBJCOPY) -j .eeprom --change-section-lma .eeprom=0 -O ihex $< $@

%_eeprom.srec: %.elf
        $(OBJCOPY) -j .eeprom --change-section-lma .eeprom=0 -O srec $< $@

%_eeprom.bin: %.elf
        $(OBJCOPY) -j .eeprom --change-section-lma .eeprom=0 -O binary $< $@

# Every thing below here is used by avr-libc's build system and can be ignored
# by the casual user.

FIG2DEV                 = fig2dev
EXTRA_CLEAN_FILES       = *.hex *.bin *.srec

dox: eps png pdf

eps: $(PRG).eps
png: $(PRG).png
pdf: $(PRG).pdf