Re: [avr-chat] TO-220 5 pin PCB footprint?

From: Jamie Morken
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] TO-220 5 pin PCB footprint?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:59:58 -0800

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: David Kelly <address@hidden>
Date: Saturday, March 26, 2005 2:31 pm
Subject: [avr-chat] TO-220 5 pin PCB footprint?

> Is AVR related because it will power an AVR, but just how do most
> of
> you mount a thru-hole 5 pin TO-220 such as an LM2941 which has big
> pins
> every 0.067"?
>
> Wouldn't think anything of staggering 2 pins for hand assembly but
> this
> has to be built in quantity and apparently the parts come with all
> pins
> in a nice straight row. My nearby contract assembly shop is closed
> for
> the weekend else would ask there.
>
> When staggering the two pins, stagger at 0.100"? Away from the
> heatsink
> side or toward?

In the eagle cad library I just checked (linear.lbr) they do it by bending the
2nd and 4th pins into the same row, and the 1,3 and 5th pins in the same row.
(with the 2nd and 4th closer to the package)  Also they have a part in that
library with all the pins in the same row, so really there are several ways to
do it, but for high current it may be better to bend the 2nd and 4th pins away
from the other pins so you can fit in wider traces.

cheers,
Jamie