Re: [avr-chat] UISP / AVRDude : what to choose ?

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] UISP / AVRDude : what to choose ?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:31:54 +0930

On Saturday 27 August 2005 11:25, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Today's question : I gather that there are two programs that exist to
> download a program into the AVR : AvrDude and UISP. Why are they 2 tools
> for seemingly doing the same job ? Which one is more appropriate in what
> situation ?
> The thing is, I have the latest UISP version in my Linux distro's
> repository, but I don't have AvrDude. Since I am hopeless at compiling
> things from source, I would favour UISP as it comes easy.

Heh.. This is open source software.. NIH abounds ;)
Seriously though a lot of people write a piece of software that has
overlapping (or even identical) functionality for a variety of reasons,
eg licensing, portability, ignorance etc.

I use avrdude but that's because it's what I first found and it's in the
FreeBSD ports tree ready to go.

> So, in short, is avrdude really 'better' than UISP, is it worth working
> hard to try and compile it on my machine ? I grabbed the latest tarball
> but the 'make' fails early :o(
>
> In case I am lucky and someone has the same system as me and can provide
> specific guidance for installing avrdude, I am using Ubuntu 5.10
> ('Breezy').

I  think it'd be worth a quick try - it should just be a matter of..
wget
ftp://ftp.se.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/bsd/avrdude-4.4.0.20050211.tar.gz
tar zxvf avrdude-4.4.0.20050211.tar.gz
cd avrdude-4.4.0.20050211.tar.gz
./configure
make
sudo make install

I just tried this on a friend's Gentoo box (except the installation) and it
appears to have worked just fine (certainly the binary built OK).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum