Re: [avr-chat] AVR IDE [WAS: UISP / AVRDude : what to choose ?]

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR IDE [WAS: UISP / AVRDude : what to choose ?]
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:56:06 -0600

David Brown wrote:

As for your work so far, Eric, I look forward to trying it.  It certainly
sounds like you are putting together a package that will suit a wide range
of users.
I certainly hope so. That's the intent anyway, for all the reasons you mentioned. I want to provide something for the beginner, intermediate, and advanced users.

There are a few things that I hope you have included in the new
IDE.  To start with, I hope you are using a third-party editor component
such as Scintilla - there is no point in re-inventing the wheel here.
I hate reinventing the wheel, it's stupid to do so. I will say that it is not based on Scintilla.

hope you've included a solid debugger (using gdb underneath) - especially if
it has templates for different devices, so that you can easily show input
and output pins and registers.
This is probably the hardest part. Debugging in the AVR world has been difficult. There has not been a perfect solution yet. And I won't claim that this will be fixed anytime soon.

I hope it is not too avr-specific - the
msp430-gcc project could benifit from such an IDE too.
Hmm. Well, this won't certainly bar the msp430 folks from doing something like it, but I'm restricing myself solely to the AVR. The msp430 folks will have to work on it on their own.

And I hope is it
fairly fast and light-weight - maybe written in Python rather than a monster
heavyweight Java system like Eclipse.  (Of course, you may have simply made
Eclipse plugins - trading the resource requirements of Eclipse for the
development benifits of using Eclipse as a starting point.)

Well, there are tradeoffs to be had, aren't there? ;-)

As always, I appreciate your thoughtful responses, David. Thanks.

Eric