Re: [avr-chat] Serial Numbers with avrdude (or other?)

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Serial Numbers with avrdude (or other?)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:27:14 -0600

David Kelly wrote:

I can see the need in the near future to embed a sequential serial number in either EEPROM or FLASH. Avrdude appears to be a good choice but doesn't list an explicit option to do this. It does have a means of counting erase cycles which is close but not quite what I'm after.

The -U option might work without having to generate a hex or srec file for each and every serial number, but in the "m" immediate mode I don't see any means of specifying an address?

Also in the manpage I see "memtype" is often used, defined as "The memtype field specifies the memory type to operate on." But its valid values are never enumerated.

I would strongly suggest looking at the SRecord utilities. They come with WinAVR but can also be found on Sourceforge separately. The SRecord utilities can be used to directly manipulate "load" files in many different formats including, obviously, Motorola S-Record, and also Intel Hex. IIRC there should be a way to do what you want through a series of calls to these utilities, which you can set up in a batch file or shell script. See the SRecord user manual for more information.

Eric