Re: [avr-chat] Using Rotary Encoders...

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Using Rotary Encoders...
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:16:22 +0200

Brian, Larry & Rich,

Sorry for the late reply, but my AVR started again refusing to connect
to avrdude. Spent lots of time on it. In the end it seems the AVR might
be dead for good this time, well at least some or all of the SPI port
pin drivers which I might have killed when powering off the AVR board
BEFORE unplugging the // cable ! :-O Big mistake... Chip now
consistently refuses to talk to avrdude. I swapped it with another AVR I
had in stock, and this one consistently successes in chatting to the PC.
Plugged the old AVR back in again just in case, but no, still mute. So
this is it... :-/
I better be careful with this one now, I don't have anymore left in my
drawers ! ;o)

Thanks for your suggestions, I can now at last start experimenting them.
BTW are these only suggestions, or are they first hand experience ?
If someone has actual working code, might help to have a look at
it ! :-) Maybe I can find some app. note somewhere on the web.

My chip is a mega32 (sorry for consistently forgetting to mention what
chip I am using, I will try and improve in the future...)

Yeah I did put pull-down (not pull-up) resistors on both channels.
Pretty strong ones actually... 1Kohm. The encoder datasheet doesn't
specify the minimum current to 'wet' (not sure of the English
terminology here !) the contacts, so I figured 5mA would be plenty
enough. Max rated current is 20mA @ 5V anyway, so I am still on the safe
side.

I uploaded the 3 page datasheet there :

http://www.007.org.uk/~vtrouilliez/temp/encoder.pdf

Thanks again for the ideas, I will post again in a while, once I have
taken some time to experiment.

Regards,

--
Vince