[avr-chat] Serial bootloading on ATmega128

From: Rick Mann
Subject: [avr-chat] Serial bootloading on ATmega128
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 02:01:32 -0800

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to have to write a bootloader for our ATmega128-based autonomous car project. We have a SparkFun BlueSMiRF Bluetooth serial link to the car, which shows up as a serial port on a Bluetooth-enabled PC (in this case, a Mac). It's just as if I had a serial cable connected directly to the '128.

I want to write a bootloader for the ATmega128 and a little command- line tool that can open the serial port, talk to the bootloader, and report back. I'm an experienced Mac programmer but not terribly familiar with the POSIX API for talking to a serial port. I've also written basic code for the '128, know how to use the serial port, but I've never written a boot loader. I did read the section in the datasheet on it, though.

I've looked at the app notes on Atmel's site, and all I can find has to do with DES-encrypted firmware loading. I can probably glean a lot of what I need from that, and just throw out the crypto parts (we don't need crypto support).

However, I figure this has been done more than once, and maybe someone's put that code (both firmware and POSIX tool) into the public domain. At the very least, perhaps someone can point out pitfalls and make suggestions.

Anything would be welcome. Thanks!

--
Rick