Re: [avr-chat] isp-usb

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] isp-usb
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:23:06 +1100

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 09:32:01PM +0100, Hanns-Konrad Unger wrote:

> >What's your grief with soldering SMD?  It's not all that hard, at
> >least not with the pitch used for the devices in question (0.8 mm).
> >It starts to get messy with 0.5 mm pitch, or with BGAs.
>
> I like AVRs, because its easy to build prototypes with single sided PCBs
> for DILs.  Easy to solder, even when you have eys older than 50 years.
>
> You can find a (german) book describing a stk with this method at my
> homepage (hanns-konrad.de).

Hanns-Konrad,

   My eyes too are 50+, so I bought a magnifier lamp. Soldering a 44 pin
SMD AVR is easier than a 40 pin DIL, because a one to 1.5 second wipe
with a hollow tip is all it takes to solder 11 pins.

   It's those pesky little chicken-food passive components, which
tombstone at the first opportunity, that I try hard to design out.

   With SMD, you can do single sided, without holes! ;-)

Erik