Re: [avr-chat] (no subject)

From: David VanHorn
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] (no subject)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:02:43 -0500

> I don't know how the internal osc. behaves. But external
> crystals can be weakly driven for low power applications.
> I.e. I have an 3.3V AVR and an external 11.0592MHz crystal.
> The voltage swing on this crystal has only 1Vss but is still
> working very reliable (verified with additional load).

Check your CKOPT fuse. You should not run with that fuse in the
default state without a lot of research as to wether your crystal will
work on that drive.
In the default state, the Vittoz oscillator is enabled, which is weak
and can cause BIG problems.  If you program CKOPT to the non-default
state, you get rail-to-rail drive.