Re: [avr-chat] Re: which bootloader ?

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Re: which bootloader ?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:07:06 +0100

Well, the message appeared 3 times :)

BTW avrdude goal is to allow programming a chip without using a bootloader. And a bootloader is used to program a chip without a tool like avrdude. A bootloader is designed to get the data to flash from a media that suits your particular needs (serial link, CAN bus, ethernet, SPI, etc). There are some bootloader examples on avrfreaks (http://www.avrfreaks.net) and avr-libc has functions and explanations to allow you to write your own bootloader. Bootloader memory is usually rather small on AVR targets (8k max), so there is no generic bootloader like RedBoot for eCos on AVR targets. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I guess that's why your question about 'a bootloader supported with avrdude' gave not much traffic on the list.

jack wrote:
I didn't see this message in my inbox so not sure whether it went to the list. Resending it again.
Apologies if itz a repeat.

jack wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a bootloader which is supported with avrdude (or on linux) and can be used for following chips:
ATTiny2313
Atmega16
Atmega88
Atmega163