Re: [avr-chat] ATmega88 + triple 7 Segment Display (CC)

From: Dustin Lang
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATmega88 + triple 7 Segment Display (CC)
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:28:31 -0500 (EST)

The triple 7-segment display probably has a single pin for each of the seven segments, wired in parallel to the three digits. Then instead of one GND, it will have one for each digit. Get out your multimeter, put it on the diode setting, and check. If that's how it's set up, then you'll need to repeatedly loop through the digits to refresh them. (Indeed, timers that appear in TV shows need to be specially built to not work this way!)

If I were you, I'd probably wire 7 of the 8 PORTD pins to the seven segments, and three of one of the other ports to the GND pins. But you should check how much current it will need to sink when all seven segments are on - you might need a transistor to handle the load.

Cheers,
dstn.