[avr-chat] ultra-cheap HVSP programmer

From: Nicolas Boullis
Subject: [avr-chat] ultra-cheap HVSP programmer
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:02:54 +0100

Hi,

Disclaimer: I'm completely new to AVR MCUs.

Im willing to build an USB-I2C adapter, as described on
http://www.harbaum.org/till/i2c_tiny_usb/index.shtml

If I understand it correctly, since it uses PB5 as GPIO, I have to use
the HVSP programming mode. (I'm not sure about that, but it seems it
might be possible to program it, irreversibly, with ISP.)

Browsing the internet, I found a few HVSP programmers, including a few
do-it-yourself ones, but all of them are rather expensive and require
big programmable chips. On the other hand, there are many ultra-cheap
ISP programmers, including ones using only a few resistors, where the
computer software is expected to perform all the bit-banging.

I guess it should be possible to build an ultra-cheap HVSP programmer,
using only a few off-the-shelf components, perhaps requiring an external
power supply, and where the computer software does all the bit-banging.
Is there any known one? Of course, I'd prefer it to work with avrdude,
or any other free software running on linux.

Cheers,

Nicolas Boullis

PS: sorry if this message is a duplicate. I first sent it while
unsubscribed, but did not see it reach the archive, so I thought the
list could be subscribers-only and subscribed.