Re: [avr-chat] ATmega644 : dual USART... or not dual usart.. that, is th

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATmega644 : dual USART... or not dual usart.. that, is the question !
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 21:48:17 +0100

On Fri,  6 Feb 2009 06:13:00 +0100 (MET)
address@hidden (Joerg Wunsch) wrote:

> Careful: that's /not/ called ATmega1284 but ATmega1284P.  You should
> have learned now that these letters might make a difference...

Oops sorry, yes I meant 'P ;-)

> Curious, why are you limited to DIP packages?  I find them
> unpractically large.

That's why :

http://freudhoefer.de/File_Share/Vince/PICT0002.JPG

It's a hobby/amateur project, so I use a prototype board to develop the
hardware, so I am limited to through-hole technology, meaning DIP
packages for everything. I don't have the soldering equipment for
surface mount components, and with my big fat fingers I probably
wouldn't be succesful with it anyhow ! ;-/
DIP packages also give me headaches, as I need a large (8 or 16 Mbits
serial data Flash memory), operatiung at 5 volts, and nothing is
available ! Grr...

> I haven't seen an ATmega1284P in DIP yet at all,

Well Atmel lists them and Digikey sells them in tubes of 290 pieces, so
they are there !

> [..] but it's possible they aren't in full production yet.

Yeah, I hope production will rise so one can find them at Farnell or
RS, and preferably not in tubes of 290 pieces...

--
Vince