Re: [avr-chat] cheap DIY programming cables: anything on USB ?

From: Jim Brain
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] cheap DIY programming cables: anything on USB ?
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:58:12 -0600

swm wrote:
The USBasp is a USB programmer supported in AVRDUDE since version 5.2. The firmware is open source (runs on an AVR) as is the schematic. Maybe people provide gerber files so that you can more easily make you own, and a few even sell their own designs based on the USBasp.

You may easily build your own or buy one already made.

http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

-Steve
Many thanks for this link, Steve. Although I've worked quite well for many years with my homebuilt STK200/300 adapter, I'm starting to need more reliability, and was considering a USB programmer. This fits my needs quite well (I tweaked the 10 pin ISP header to put UART0 on pins 8/10, and this design makes it easy for me to stuff a FDTI232 in the box to put everything on USB).

My STK200 programmer is truly a hideous mess of amateur soldering (I've learned so much, upgraded my tools, truly gotten a clue since then), but I will always have a soft spot for it. The parts were in my junk bin, you just can;t beat a beginner programmer for $0.00. I can't say there were no suitable programmers for the PIC when I looked, but I never could find one that did not require either parts I was not sure I could source (typically transistors), strange voltages (+15V), or an already programmed PIC.

Jim