Re: [avr-chat] AVR and Hardware For Reading Automotive On-Board Diagnost

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR and Hardware For Reading Automotive On-Board Diagnostics Connector?
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 12:51:41 +1030

On Thursday 05 March 2009 11:56:39 Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Is there an AVR that is especially good for reading data from an
> automobile's on-board diagnostic (OBD) connector? Is there already
> hardware that can do this: a cable for plugging into the OBD port, and a
> board which can read the codes coming from the port? By automobile, I
> mean an automobile built for the North American market. I assume that
> the OBD connector varies in style and pinout from country to country?
>
> I know my auto mechanic has a device weighing 25 kilograms with a long
> heavy cable terminated by a fat connector that plugs into my OBD port,
> reads the trouble codes, and displays them on a screen. That is pretty
> much what I want to do, along with intelligent matching of what the
> codes probably mean, but I want the smallest possible form factor.

You can get PIC micros preprogrammed to translate OBD to RS232 TTL.

http://www.elmelectronics.com/

I bought a clone off Ebay (which I didn't realise at the time).

The OBD port is standard (although it can carry a few different protocols) and
it must be located within 1m of the steering wheel (or something like that)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum