[avr-chat] Need help setting up JTAGICE mkII on a Mac.

From: Scott Stanford
Subject: [avr-chat] Need help setting up JTAGICE mkII on a Mac.
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:44:38 -0700

(I posted this on AVRfreaks, but saw this post in the avr-chat archives, so thought this might be a better place to ask my question.)  The conversation quoted above makes me wonder if the problem is USB-related and if communicating with the JTAGICE mkII via an RS232 cable and a Keyspan USB-to-serial adapter might solve the problem...

Scott

----
So I have been successful programming a typical flashing LED program from my Mac to an ATmega168 on the STK500 (using the Keyspan USB-to-RS232 adapter). I want to get familiar with debugging, and I was under the impression that I could do so with the JTAGICE mkII. My plan is to start simple by programming the device with the JTAGICE mkII via ISP, and if that works, try debugging with debugWire.

I've read through the JTAGICE mkII quick start guide and the JTAGICE mkII Online User's Guide, as well as the relevant avrtv video, but am still coming up short. Unfortunately, this documentation is primarily Windows and AVR Studio specific, so I wanted to find out if anyone on AVRfreaks has successfully used the combination of Mac OSX / STK500 / JTAGICE mkII and can help me out.

First of all, the online documentation mentions that USB drivers need to be installed just after installing AVR Studio. As far as I know, I've never had to install Mac USB drivers (whereas I did back in the day when I worked on a Windows box). Is this step necessary, and if so, how would I do it, since the drivers are for Windows?

Next, for my hardware setup I have the JTAGICE mkII plugged directly into the USB port of the computer, and I'm fairly sure it's getting 500 mA. (I've also occasionally attached directly to a 12 V supply, which doesn't seem to be any different, as one would hope.) The JTAGICE mkII is attached to the green SPROG2 header on the STK500 via the combination of flexcable, target adapter card, and 10PIN-to-6PIN probe adapter cable. I do not have the RS232 cable connected to the JTAGICE mkII, but (a) I assume this connection is taken care of via USB and (b) I haven't seen this connection made in any of the documentation. (I think this is for Windows 95/NT machines without USB anyway.) The JTAGICE mkII lights are green (target power), red (JTAGICE mkII power) and red (idle, not connected to AVR Studio, which makes me somewhat concerned about whether this will work at all on a Mac or if the JTAGICE mkII is hard-wired for AVR Studio). I have disconnected the RESET jumper on the STK500, and have left the STK500 connected to the computer through the Keyspan-RS232 combo.

In my Makefile (created with Mfile with a few customizations), I have these lines of code:

AVRDUDE_PROGRAMMER = jtag2isp # I've tried several variations
#AVRDUDE_PORT = /dev/tty.KeySerial1 # for STK500
#AVRDUDE_PORT = /dev/term/a # original
AVRDUDE_PORT = usb # for JTAGICE mkII

But when I type "make program" at the command prompt, I get the following on my screen:

avrdude -p atmega168 -P usb  -c jtag2isp    -U flash:w:main.hex

...and nothing. It just hangs, and I have to ctrl-c out.

Any thoughts on how to get this going on a Mac would be greatly appreciated.