Re: [avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:10:48 +0930

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:40:31 +0930
>
> "Daniel O'Connor" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Terminal mode can be useful for some things but I usually only use
> > it to change fuses or check my code has modified EEPROM as I
> > expect.
>
> Same here, but I also like to have a look at the first KB's of Flash
> as well. I found it helpful to trouble shoot string problems, or to
> verify padding, or to check that my approximate knowledge of C's
> syntax did put the right address in a table of function pointers, or
> whatever... I just find it quite nice to be able to easily have a
> quick look at the first KB's of Flash, in a formatted way, while
> having also access to EEPROM and fuses and everyting, all from the
> same place. IOW... I just looove this terminal feature of avrdude
> hence my desire for it, generally, to become as good as it can get
> ;-)

I think you'll find objdump on your resulting binary much, much
faster :)

I have the following makefile rules too (BSD make though)..

CPPFLAGS+=-Wa,-adhlmsn=${<:T:S/.c/.lst/}
LDFLAGS+=-Wl,-Map=${PROG}.map,--cref

.elf.dmp:
        ${OBJDUMP} -S ${.IMPSRC} > ${.PREFIX}.dmp

This gives you a lot of information about how the compiler has decide to
build your code.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum