Re: [avr-chat] How can I individualise specific CPUs?

From: Peter Fuhrmann
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] How can I individualise specific CPUs?
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:00:51 +0200

Juergen Harms schrieb:

I am at present wondering about an alternative, based on re-considering my use of eeprom: continue (evidently) to use eeprom for storing data that must survive boots, but rather than initialising the eeprom contents by download, define a condition which triggers initialisation of the contents of eeprom by program-controlled transfer from flash (for instance, trigger the transfer when at boot-time a specific eeprom byte contains 0xFF). That would allow to always maintain the EESAVE bit programmed and keep my private data in some "reserved corner" of eeprom. My application could probably live with such an approach - still needs some thinking about.

Juergen

What about modifying your upload-script to first download one byte of the eeprom, then create a second eeprom.hex file from your master eeprom.hex file, in which you change the byte to the value read with the "srecord" tool, and then writing it back?

Greetings,
Peter