[avr-chat] Difficulty programming attiny13 with AVR dragon

From: Kevin DuBois
Subject: [avr-chat] Difficulty programming attiny13 with AVR dragon
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 23:42:24 -0700

Hi All,
I'm trying to programĀ an ATtiny13 with avrdude under linux (Ubuntu
10.10). I've determined that my hardware version is 7, and my firmware
version is 6.11.
It always fails, and I have not been able to program the fresh chip yet.

Here is the command I am running:
$ avrdude -c dragon_isp -p t13 -P usb -e -vvvvvvv

avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on Jun 29 2010 at 03:44:14
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

         System wide configuration file is "/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/kdub/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular
file, skipping

         Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : dragon_isp
avrdude: stk500v2_dragon_isp_open()
avrdude: usb_open(): cannot read serial number "error sending control
message: Connection timed out"
avrdude: usb_open(): cannot read product name "error sending control
message: Connection timed out"
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found [unnamed product], serno: [unknown]
avrdude: usbdev_open(): error setting configuration 1: could not set
config 1: Connection timed out
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

More details
* I've checked the wiring a few times, everything seems to be in order.
* There are no udev permissions problems, I've set up the rule
properly to give me access. The problem persists when I've run the
program as root.
* The LED status lights on the dragon are green (small LED), and
dark/off (larger LED), indicating a USB connection.

Can anyone help? I'm really at a loss for what to check next!

Cheers,
Kevin D.
address@hidden