Re: [avr-chat] avr-size .bss bigger than RAM?

From: Stuart Longland
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avr-size .bss bigger than RAM?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 08:10:58 +1000

On 25/07/17 22:36, Rolf Pfister wrote:
> I would say it uses more than 29 bytes too much. Because data also
> needs SRAM. And subroutine calling and interrupts will also need some
> bytes of SRAM for the stack.
> Maybe you didn't see something going wrong yet because it didn't fill
> all reserved data structures yet.

Right… I was a bit surprised that it would allow such a program to link.
 arm-ld complains when the data structures won't fit into the spaces
allocated by the linker script.

I did another check, and found one of my structures occupied the full
512 bytes, so I've cut it back, .bss is now 279 bytes.

Often the code will define a big integer array somewhere and call that
the stack, so you know exactly where it is and how big it is.  AVR
though, all that is abstracted.

Anyone know where I can find out how much RAM is allocated for stack on AVR?
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.