Re: [avr-chat] Bricked AVR

From: Thomas D. Dean
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Bricked AVR
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 13:18:43 -0700

On 03/25/18 12:05, Kimson Muriungi wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a custom mega 2560 avr control board that I just got bricked by setting the wrong fuses accidentally. It is surface mount, so i cannot use fuse bit doctor or high voltage programming to reset it. Sadly I also didnt include JTAG in my design. The fuses have been set to Low frequency crystal oscillator. The only thing I have around that could help is a USBTiny ISP programmer, and a 32khz crystal, which i hoped would probably provide the low frequency to make it run as per the fuse settings. I have not managed to change that until now. I am aware that ISP programming frequency should be utmost 1/4 of the 32 khz. Is there a way I can set ISP frequency of that level (6 to 8 khz) using avrdude and command prompt? Probably I'll be able to reset the fuses this way.

Or if there is any other way Id bring this chip back, I'd gladly use it.

https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/avrdude

Tom Dean