Re: [avr-gcc-list] simulator

From: Jason Kyle
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] simulator
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 21:20:19 +1200

At 09:27 30/09/2001 -0600, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
Hi,

I've been working on a simluator written in pyhton for the last couple of
weeks. It's not near done yet, but I can already run programs that don't
use the IO registers. Right now I'm working on hooks for the virtual
connections to the IO pins of devices.

I'm not sure if it could be accessed from gdb, but it has been in the back
of my mind. Right now I'm only using assembly code to test it so as to
keep the programs simple and be able to understand what's going on.

So far, I've got the basics for the at90s1200, 4414 and 8515 going, but
I've only been testing with the 8515. It should be easy to add new devices
in the feature, since I've been designing it with that in mind.

If anyone's interested, I'd be more than happy to make the code available.

Ted Roth
address@hidden

Hi Ted,

What kind of simulation speed can you achieve? I imagine using python wouldn't be all that quick. Whatever is finally included with gdb will most definitely require as complete on-chip peripheral simulation as possible as well as the ability to add off-chip devices (e.g. LCD display) virtually wired to the virtual AVR. Flexability will be the prime requirement (that includes OS independence), speed secondary but important.

Anyone else got any thoughts on simulators?  Bruce?

Cheers,

Jason Kyle