Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-as doku

From: Larry Barello
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-as doku
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:29:59 -0700

Look for "gas" in the on line gnu gcc documentation.

You are not going to find what you are looking for.  GAS will tell you
about segments labels and macros, but no information on programming an
AVR chip.  You need to puzzle out the technical documentation for the
chips.  I.e. what is the difference between "rcall", "icall" and
"call", "ret" and "iret", how to save and restore the status register,
where interrupt vectors go, etc.

The hard way is to just learn the assembly mnemonics and read the chip
data sheets.  Easier is to get a text on programming an AVR.  Somewhat
difficult is to do thing in C and inspect the assembly listings (-S
with gcc).  In any case, look at existing assembly code (library and
headers and the startup code gcrt1.S)  All these files should be part
of the standard distribution (somewhere).

Good luck!  The learning curve is steep.  It is pretty easy once you
puzzled out the basics.