Re: [avr-gcc-list] buffered uart writing/reading

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] buffered uart writing/reading
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:43:35 +0200 (MET DST)

"Harald Kipp" <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, the UART part is bullet proofed and the
> TCP stack did everything I needed till now. It
> does not contain any Slip/PPP, but needs an Ethernet
> controller (RTL8019AS).

Btw., i also intend to buy an Ethernut board, and to play a bit with
it.  Anyway, i think this one is fighting in a totally different class
than what has been my initial idea when asking the question.
Basically, a buffered UART driver is something that is needed in
almost any serious application that uses a UART, even on smaller
controllers.  Thus i like Rich's solution which has been optimized
down as much as possible.  (I'm still in the process of testing it,
hobbyist's spare-time is scarce, and will probably send Rich some
comments...)

> Other parts have been stolen from BSD Linux.

No such thing as »BSD Linux«. :-)  There's BSD, and there's Linux...
(Since you're saying you don't have GPLed code, my guess is you've
actually been using one of the BSDs.)

I didn't look into the NutOS code so far.  How much work would it be
to adapt it to another ethernet chip?  The reason i'm asking: i've got
a pile of 3C509 cards around, IMHO the hardware effort to get them
working together with an ATMega shouldn't differ much from the
RTL8012, so the questions is whether it's easy to plug in another
ethernet hardware driver.  (I know a bit of ethernet drivers, at least
from the context of writing a FreeBSD driver.)