Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: avr-libc license issues

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: avr-libc license issues
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:58:22 +0200 (MET DST)

"Theodore A. Roth" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here's what I found for the BSD license:
>
>   http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.html

Btw., a number of FreeBSD developers went so far to also omit the
fourth (now third) clause from the list of conditions (``not endorse
.... without prior written permission'').  This would reduce the number
of restrictions even more.  You might consider that as an option.

> Another alternative is this (MIT or X11 License):
>
>   http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.html
>
> Both seem to be equivalent and are essentially public domain with an
> explicit license.

Agreed.  I also think that the sense of the BSD and MIT license is
basically the same.  Unlike GPL, both are explicitly meant to be
applicable for code that can also be sold in proprietary products.
(And both produce much less printed paper and cause less headache when
reading them than GPL. :-))