Re: [avr-gcc-list] gdb, ddd & simulavr

From: Theodore Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] gdb, ddd & simulavr
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:02:42 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Klaus Rudolph wrote:

:) > Hi,
:) >
:) > i have successfull compiled and installed gdb (patched for avr) and
:) > simulavr.
:) > How can i use ddd with this to tools ?
:) >
:) > calling "ddd --debugger simulavr -d at90s8515 -g demo_kr.bin" does not
:) > work.
:) >
:) try this:
:)
:) First start simulator:
:) simulavr -d at90s8515 -g --disp-prog=disp

This is mostly true. I changed disp to simulavr-disp in the latest
release. There's also more options to increase or decrease the verbosity.
See `simulavr --help` for complete list.

:)
:) Now gdb can connect to simulator (in gdbinit script (see below))
:) ddd --debugger avr-gdb --command gdbinit

This is exactly how I use it. Works well for me.

:)
:)
:)
:) gdbinit is a short script:
:) set remoteaddresssize 32                << -- unknown,

You no longer need to set the remote address size. ;-)

:) file weiche8.o                                   <<--- file to load
:) target remote localhost:1212           <<--- connect to simulavr
:) load                                                  <<---- load file &

The load command is only needed if the program is not resident in the
remote target.  For avarice, the load command doesn't work yet.

:) symbols
:) break debug1                                   <<---- set breakpoints
:) break debug2
:)
:) my software has to breakpoints debug1/2, which will be set for default.
:) Use your own ones :-)
:)
:) There is no need to use such a script, but my brain needs scripts while
:) brains can't be stored on disk :-)

If you have a complicated debug setup, it's too much work to do it 100
times correctly without a script. ;-)

Ted Roth