Re: [avr-gcc-list] inline debugging stk200/stk500 and gdb 5.x

From: Jason Kyle
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] inline debugging stk200/stk500 and gdb 5.x
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 22:31:21 +1200

At 11:12 1/07/2002 +0200, you wrote:
Hi all,

we have discussed the missing jtag support from atmel the last days. So I
search
for an alternativ way. I have an older version of avr-mon (0.6) which is not
usable with actual gdb versions and needs an incompatible patch to work.
(incompatible to simulavr). Also there is no support for rs232 debugging on
stk500
or? Ok, the 6 pin header for seriall programming might be used, or?

Is there an idea to bring the avr-mon code into a actual state here?
I´m not able to do that, because I do know nothing about the
gdb low level functionality. So there is no way for gdb patches and such
things.
But it seems to be not such a big problem to make the inline code
workable on an UART or?

OK, i will have a look in the avr code now. If somebody can help to get
gdb working with it? It should be use the same interface like the simulavr
or?

Use the gdb serial debugging protocol.

Help strictly welcome. :-)

A while ago I briefly discussed an alternative to jtag debugging with Ted, the basic idea was to use any megaAVR with self programming and a boot block (m163 and later) and write code for the boot block that acted as a gdb remote (serial port on uC to start with, maybe SPI later). When you set a break point with gdb you would use SPM/page to do essentially the same thing as 'normal' gdb debugging in a RAM execution space. One drawback if of course the use of AVR resources, and another is the min 1000 page re-writes guaranteed. Note that the JTAGICE allows setting of break points etc in program memory with the same 1000 re-writes issue.

If this idea can actually work then it is possible to do zero cost debugging.

Cheers,

Jason Kyle