Re: [avr-gcc-list] stdio.h, stdio.o, io.h, io.o

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] stdio.h, stdio.o, io.h, io.o
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:06:28 +0200 (MET DST)

"Theodore A. Roth" <address@hidden> wrote:

> As for sprintf(), you will have to roll your own. I vaguely remember
> reading on the list about connecting a serial port behind it for
> output.  I'm sure if you beg and plead, someone can supply you what
> you need. ;-)

Well, you don't need an actual IO channel for /s/printf. ;-)

Anyway, one needs to implement it.  There used to be a printf
implementation shipping with Marek's old distribution files, somewhere
under `contrib' or whatever.  It was quite incomplete, but the biggest
probleme with a complete stdio library (even one that can only write
to strings) is that it's getting fairly bloated and thus a single call
to snprintf() will likely fill up the entire flash ROM of the smaller
AVR parts completely.  Thus it's usually better to work around it
using the other conversion and string concatenation functions.