avr-gcc-list

[avr-gcc-list] FYI: windows virus

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] FYI: windows virus
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:10:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

Some of you may have received some email that looked to be from me but
wasn't. If you have received any email that looks like it was from me and
contains an attachment which is not a context diff, I did _NOT_ send the
file and it probably contains a windows virus.

Someone on the list has contracted the bugbear virus and the virus is
sending out infected emails with my name on them and a bugus email address.
If you examine the email header and see something like this:

    by bgnet.bg with SMTP id <S16356AbSJEI55>;
    Sat, 5 Oct 2002 08:57:57 +0000

it's from the infected system.

Who ever is infected has sent email to Dean Ferreyra (who had Norton
anti-virus flag it as containing a virus), Marc Wetzel, and myself. I
haven't heard of others from the list, but one other person contacted me
saying he got a virus infected email which seemed to come from me.

Dean sent me this link which discusses the virus:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/address@hidden

The notice says that linux systems are not affected by the virus. I'm only
use linux at home and work, so there's no way I've been sending these.

If you are using windows and subscribe to this list (you're reading this,
right? :-), you should run a virus scan.

Ted Roth

avr-gcc-list at http://avr1.org