Re: [avr-gcc-list] jtagice and stk500 protocol docs

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] jtagice and stk500 protocol docs
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:59:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Jason Kyle wrote:

:) It's on the drawing board.  An updated version of my pAVR programmer will
:) do this job just nicely.  mega8 based, same size as original and also
:) usable as an SPI programmer.
:)
:) >Well, if we want to push gdb, we have to make it incompatible ;-)
:)
:) Have to admit I keep wondering why I bother aiming to make stuff compatible
:) with Atmel's tools, all it does is allow people to be lazy and not learn
:) about GNU/Linux systems......  Perhaps we should just scrap Atmel's jtagice
:) protocol (rs232 side) and go with gdb serial?  No need to burn up Ted's
:) time moving avarice into gdb then.

Well, I'm going to do it anyways for a few reasons:

  - The hardware is available and the high level interface is now out.
  - I've got the jtagice at home and work.
  - avarice is incomplete (my version is pretty patched up)
  - haven't heard from Scott Finneran (avarice author) in a while so it
    may have gone stale.
  - it's possible to have many avr specific targets in gdb
  - I'm crazy and like to beat my head on gdb internals. 8-0

You could use the existing gdb serial protocol directly, but will it fit
in the mega8? Seems like a lot of overhead.

:) >Karl,
:) >who is not sure which mailing list would be OK for these topics :-/
:)
:) I have no problems with the discussion being on this list, it is avr
:) tool related so is on topic.  If anyone doesn't like it email me with
:) your reasons.

I agree. Discuss away. ;-)

Ted Roth