Re: [avr-gcc-list] movin' up to Linux

From: Otto Tronarp
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] movin' up to Linux
Date: 03 Nov 2002 13:38:38 +0100

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 19:30, Marlin Unruh wrote:
> Hi,

[snip]
> The only real barrier left is the CAD programs that I need Windows to
> run. :(

Can't help you here, I haven't found any good GPL EDA program.
http://www.geda.seul.org/ could become something one day, but it still
has a bit to go...

> The real question(s):
>
> How do I get started compiling under Linux gcc?
>       download binaries, and libraries? build? install? ( I need it spelled
> out if possible, like 1,2,3 )

If you mean compiling gcc/binutils/libc for avr you can just follow the
instructions at

http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/avr-libc/doc/avr-libc-user-manual/install_tools.html

it's not hard at all.

> Is there an interface for the Atmel STK500 to work with Linux serial
> port? What comm. package?

According to the help output uisp should be able to do that, but I don't
have an STK500 so I haven't actually tried it. It at least works like a
charm with my STK200.

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/uisp/

> Is there a stable debugger, simulator?

gdb should work but I haven't tried it so I don't know. As for a
simulator you could have a look at

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/simulavr/

Otto Tronarp