Re: [avr-gcc-list] Elf - coff volatile

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Elf - coff volatile
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:53:15 +0100

> Yeah, and if you go to Atmel's web site, they promote the IAR
> compiler all over the place.

That's right - but hte next release of AVRstudio 4 is supposed to have
extended the coff support to even support structs in a decent manner.
So the next step would be, as just mentioned on this list; that someone
makes sure avr-gcc/binutils can produce coff in a decent manner.

> And isn't it strange that Atmel's AVR Studio version 3.x had hooks
> for 3rd party compilers, yet AVR Studio version 4.x doesn't have
> those hooks? All they are is simple command line calls, yet they took
> it out? And Atmel keeps saying that they will put support in for
> calling 3rd party compilers at a later date.

AVRstudio 4 is based on MS's COM objects... The application is constructed
so that 3rd parties are supposed to be able to make plugins for the GUI
module for their own compilers. Then it will be up to the compiler makers to
make this interface. This way, Atmel has "outsourced" the job they did
half-way with Studio 3.x. Not a bad idea, if you ask me. From their point of
view, anyway ;-)

Then the question becomes; who in the GNU will volunteer to develop this
plug-in for AVRStudio with MS Visual Studio?

Cheers,

            E.