RE: [avr-gcc-list] [ANN] WinAVR 20030115

From: E. Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] [ANN] WinAVR 20030115
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:36:19 -0700

On 17 Jan 2003 at 14:24, Ebert, Rolf wrote:

> Eric,
>
> do you have some more elaborate build instructions?
>
> EW> Build Notes
> EW> --------------------------
> EW> GNU Binutils, GNU GCC, and AVRLibC were built with MinGW (see
> Links).

Currently, no. In the next week I will write up complete instructions
and send them off to the AVRLibC project, as they have an open
request for build instructions for Windows. I'll send you a copy of
it then.

> Even building a native compiler in and for MinGW is already not a
> simple task, but I eventually got there.  I failed, however, when I
> tried to build an AVR cross compiler.

If you're already familiar with the process however, here's the
(extremely) short answer:
1. Need good working bison and flex.
2. Need patch for GCC.
3. Current MinGW version.
4. Need MSYS 1.0.8-rc-2 (release candidate 2). CAUTION! MSYS 1.0.8
released will NOT build GCC correctly. I just spent a week figuring
this out.
5. Build with the *nix build instructions listed in the AVRLibC
documentation.

In WinAVR 20030115, the utilities contain the bison and flex I use.
The source download contains the GCC patch.

> The reason I ask is, that I want to enable the Ada frontend for AVR.
> I got a minimallz working system built and running on Linux
> (http://tech.ebert-langer.de/avr-gnat.html).  I'd like to get to at
> least the same level on MinGW, too.

Cool!
Now, I don't know anything about Ada, but what about the library?
Will it have to have a separate library for Ada?

Let me know if you can get the Ada frontend working for the AVR. I'd
also like to know how to build it too and how to use the Ada
compiler. If it can make working code and it's not a huge addition, I
would be interested in adding it to WinAVR.

Thanks,
Eric