RE: [avr-gcc-list] Problem building avr-gcc on MinGW

From: Ebert, Rolf
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Problem building avr-gcc on MinGW
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:35:53 +0100

RE>...  The native compiler on MinGW should also have the same problem,
RE>if it exists at all. I therefore think, that it is a configuration
RE>problem, not really a technical one how to implement fork and pipe
RE>functionality on Windows.

JW>My guess is he isn't using collect2 at all.

But it is included in the WinAVR distribution.

RE>P.S. what is collect2 good for? is it needed at all?

JW>ISTR it has been used to collect the C++ global/static
JW>constructors/destructors for object formats that don't support them in
JW>separate sections (a.out, COFF).  For ELF, it's not needed all, not
JW>even for C++.  I have no idea whether Ada has something similar to
JW>constructors/destructors and would thus require it at all.

There is a similar problem in Ada (evaluation of global/static code before
main starts), called elaboration.  gcc-ada includes a special program
(gnatbind) to generate the correct order of calls to the elaboration code
and it also generates the actual main program.  That works already.  Of
course, you usually want to avoid all that fancy stuff when generating
programs that have to fit in 2kB ...

        Rolf