RE: [avr-gcc-list] Comments on using avr-c++ ?

From: Artur Lipowski
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Comments on using avr-c++ ?
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:43:33 +0100

I think, it is interesting question
.
My experience shows that in case of projects (not associated with
microcontrollers) which resulting binary can fit into micro FLASH - using
C++ is usually waste of time and effort.
As you sed, maintainability is main goal in large projects but it not
justify using such monster like C++.
I found that good maintainability can be achieved using better project
design and better documentation (I know, it is boring 8-). Using OO approach
does not guarantee nothing and as my practice shows when used by not
experienced people it brings only more mess.
To be clear - I am not against C++ at all (in fact I use it, Python and Java
for years) but 8 bit micros are not for that language and this language is
not for that micros.

Instead using C++ you can use some OO techniques in design phase and some
can be implemented (with ease) in plain C without C++ overhead.

Reagrds,
--
Artur Lipowski