Re: [avr-gcc-list] Fw: Make Your Own JTAGICE box

From: Jason Kyle
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Fw: Make Your Own JTAGICE box
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:49:39 +1200

At 19:34 24/04/2003 +0200, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:
On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:49:06AM -0700, Sander Pool wrote:
> Yes, as I thought more about it it seemed unlikely Atmel would provide the
> binaries for plain ol' ISP download. Someone went through some trouble
> reverse engineering the bootloader. This is getting closer to being a
> 'crack' ie. illegal.

No, there ain't any attempt to obscure the code being programmed. It's only between .ebn file and the programming software, kinda funny really :) Snooping the serial comms would show that up pretty quick and also allow an unobscured binary to be extracted, enabling those who don't use windows to program the micro without astudio.

Still think it's way better to write something from scratch, especially given the max 200kHz JTAG clock the official firmware allows.

The bootloader speaks the same good old avr910/pavr protocol that
avrprog.exe normally uses - only the .ebn file is decrypted first.

Ironically, i've been working on a 3DES encrypted STK500 protocol bootloader lately :)

Cheers,

Jason

Marek