Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging on Windows; coff problems

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging on Windows; coff problems
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:05:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Wallace White wrote:

:) --- "E. Weddington" <address@hidden> wrote:
:)
:) > Never tried it but there's this:
:) > GVD <http://libre.act-europe.fr/gvd/>
:) > It's supposed to work with any command-line GDB and they have Windows
:) >
:) > executables for NT/2K to download, all for free.
:)
:) Looks like gvd will work fine--thanks! It does expect gdb to be named
:) simply gdb, so I renamed avr-gdb to gdb and it started right up.
:)
:) I do have a couple of questions on getting avarice and gdb running,
:) though; hope this is an okay place to ask a few beginner's questions:
:)
:) (1) Which file do you feed to avarice? It didn't care for the .hex so I
:) gave it the .obj and it seemed happy.

You need to use a .bin file (raw binary image). You can generate it
with avr-objcopy from the elf file.

Avarice will soon support loading of files in any format that bfd can
handle. The patch just needs a bit of testing before I commit it (Nils
Strom added the features in the patch).

:)
:) (2) docs\avarice\running.txt talks about several different patches for
:) avr-gdb. Is there a recommended patch to start with (if one is needed
:) just to get started)? I started everything without a patch but the
:) micro isn't showing any external signs of life once I tell gdb to
:) "continue."

No patches are needed if you are using gdb-5.2.1 or newer.

Sounds like the object file you loaded into avarice was wrong. You can
load an elf file directly into avr-gdb and then use the "load" command
to upload the binary to the device after gdb is talking to avarice. I
usually just upload to the device before starting gdb or avarice, in
which case avarice doesn't even need to know about the rom image (gdb
will always need the elf file for the debugging information).

Ted Roth