Re: [avr-gcc-list] avarice speed

From: David Gay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avarice speed
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:11:25 -0700

Theodore A. Roth wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Ralph Mason wrote:

:) Has anyone done any modifications to avarice to allow it to run at 115200
:) and to increase the JTAG communications speed.
:)
:) It seems to be about 10 times slower than using the ICE in AVR studio.

Which version of avarice are you using? The latest cvs version should
be running at 115200.

I'm not sure about the JTAG clock speed though. It's not clear in the
avr060 app note how to set it. Here's the code that sets it in
avarice:

        // Set JTAG bitrate to 200kHz.
        // ff: 1MHz, fe: 500kHz, fd: 250khz, fb: 125Khz
        setJtagParameter(JTAG_P_CLOCK, 0xfd);

I just changed that to 0xff and things seem to be noticeably faster.

Could you verify that for me? If it works well for you too, I will
commit it.

There's some mutterings in some docs somewhere about not exceeding 1/4 of the chip frequency. So if the JTAG is set to 1Mhz, you need to be running the processor at 4MHz+. The best solution might be to add some kind of JTAG-frequency startup option.

David Gay
address@hidden