Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building AVARICE on Cygwin

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building AVARICE on Cygwin
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:47:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Ralph Mason wrote:

:)
:)I am trying to build the latest version of AVARICE from cvs on cygwin.
:)
:)However I get the following when configure runs.
:)
:)checking for bfd_init in -lbfd... no
:)configure: error: You need to install libbfd.a from binutils.
:)
:)It looks like I do have that lib there.  I'm not so upwith how configure
:)works so troubleshooting this could be a long process.
:)
:)Does anyone have any ideas what I need to do to fix this?
:)
:)If anyone out there is able to build directly from cvs and would be so kind
:)as to send me an executable I would be very grateful.

If you run the configure script with --help, this is part of the output:

Some influential environment variables:
  CXX         C++ compiler command
  CXXFLAGS    C++ compiler flags
  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
              nonstandard directory <lib dir>
  CPPFLAGS    C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you have
              headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
  CC          C compiler command
  CFLAGS      C compiler flags
  CPP         C preprocessor

Try setting LDFLAGS with a '-L<path_to_your_bfd_lib>' and see if that helps.
You may also need to give the path to the headers via CPPFLAGS.

Ted Roth