Re: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for Win32 systems

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for Win32 systems
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:18:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, E. Weddington wrote:

> Stephan Eisvogel wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I  just  got  started  with avr-gcc as part of a nice side-project I'm
> > working  on,  and  so  far  have been using WinAVR-20030424's gcc as a
> > compiler. My target is a 8515 which will be exchanged for an ATmega162
> > shortly.  I  noticed WinAVR is a little bit dated and its gcc has some
> > rather   serious  bugs  when  optimizing.  I've  built  some  embedded
> > toolchains  in  my  student's job before, so I made a toolchain update
> > for WinAVR:
> >
> > binutils   2.14 + info_fix
> > gcc        3.3.1 + mingw32_patch + combine-fix + info_fix
> > avr-libc   0.99.90.20030815
> >
> > I have put up some pre-compiled binaries together with a README at:
> >
> >   http://www.hawo.stw.uni-erlangen.de/~eisvogel/avrgcc/
> >
> > I  didn't particularly like this one combiner bug... *ouch*. Please be
> > aware  that  these  tools  didn't  get  the  testing  and beating that
> > WinAVR's stuff has gone through, so beware.
> >

> Stephan,
>
> Hi, I'm the guy that puts together WinAVR. I know it's a bit outdated, and
> I've been in the process of putting together a new release. My biggest
> problem has been time! Specifically work has been incredibly busy for the
> last few months. Also GCC and other projects have been in flux for the
> last few months and only recently has settled down.
>
> If you're interested (and have the time) I would be glad of some help.
> Specifically:
> 1. What are the info_fix (binutils, gcc) and combine_fix patches? Can you
> send them to me as well? If these fix particular GCC bugs, which bugs?
> 2. Are you building GCC any differently? (Patches, etc.)

The info_fix patches are mine. All they do is allow me to install the
info files with the avr- prefix so my rpms don't conflict with native
gcc and binutils. They should not be needed for WinAVR.

The combine-fix is the one that Denis posted a few weeks ago.

Don't know where the mingw32 patch came from.

All put the mingw32 patch are on savannah:

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/avr-libc/released/

> FYI, in the next WinAVR release, I will have to use binutils 2.13.2.1
> because of the AVR COFF patch written by Jörg Wunsch. Will the info_fix
> patch apply to this version?
>
> And of course WinAVR will contain the new avr-libc 1.0 release.

Which hasn't been released yet...

> Other tasks that need to be done for the new release:
> 1. avrdude: make sure that recent patches are in and built. New version
> cut.
> 2. New GDB 6.0 built. (Check to see if even released yet.)

Noise on the gdb list about a snapshot on the 23 and release on the
30th.

> 3. New avarice built. See if there will be an "official" release (Hi, Ted
> and David)

Not likely in the next few weeks, I'm still getting some bug reports
and looking into them.

Ted Roth