Re: [avr-gcc-list] FREEICE project

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] FREEICE project
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:48:09 +0200 (MET DST)

As Armand ten Doesschate <address@hidden> wrote:

>I wanted to use a more practical and modern use of communication
>so the freeice project with the gdb_serializer has been born.
>Therefor the gdb_serializer should have a more modular setup.

But that means it will be something completely different than the
Atmel JTAG ICE.  And i'm basically losing if i'm using a computer that
doesn't have a USB connector (which is my current AVR development/
ICE/ISP platform, a Toshiba Libretto 70ct).  I can understand the
reasoning for using the parallel port, but personally think an
AVR-plug compatible serial protocol would be better (even if slower).

I don't have an idea about the portability of the Linux libusb API,
e. g. to FreeBSD which is my OS of choice, or to Windows which
probably a lot of people would like to use it on later.

So while freeice certainly looks great, i think there's also a niche
market for an Atmel-compatible JTAG ICE clone as well.