RE: [avr-gcc-list] avr-as and symbolic debugging in AVR Studio 4

From: Brian Cuthie
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] avr-as and symbolic debugging in AVR Studio 4
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:21:29 -0400

J"org,

BIG step forward. Thanks!

But I'm still getting a complaint from objcopy that "Foo" isn't in the
symbol table. Looks to me like it is. Can you help me understand what's
going on here, and whether it's significant?

F:\Temp>avr-as -alms --gstabs -mmcu=atmega16 -Z -o demo.a demo.s
GAS LISTING demo.s                      page 1

   1
   2                            .file   "demo.s"
   3
   4                            .section  .text
   5
   6                            .stabs  "f:/temp/",100,0,0,Foo
   7                            .stabs  "demo.s",100,0,0,Foo
   8
   9                            .func   Foo
  10                            .global Foo
  11
  12                    Foo:
  13 0000 F894                  cli
  14 0002 FECF                  rjmp    Foo
  15
  16                            .endfunc
  17
♀GAS LISTING demo.s                     page 2

DEFINED SYMBOLS
                            *ABS*:00000000 demo.s
              demo.s:12     .text:00000000 Foo

NO UNDEFINED SYMBOLS

F:\Temp>avr-objcopy --debugging -O coff-ext-avr demo.a demo.cof
function Foo not found in symbol table, defaulting to "text" section

Thanks for you help J"org.

-brian