Re: Re[2]: [avr-gcc-list] Re: GCC-AVR Update (20082003)

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [avr-gcc-list] Re: GCC-AVR Update (20082003)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:27:38 +0200 (MET DST)

As James Dabbs <address@hidden> wrote:

>A 25% improvement is indeed significant.  Did you use "-Os" with GCC?  It
>looked to me like GNU could use RCALL when, so your improvement might
>actually come from something else.

IAR can optimize RCALL vs. CALL in situations where it's clear that an
RCALL suffices, gcc currently can only use either of them.  (You can
force it to use RCALL even on > 8 KB devices, but that's impractical.)
This could perhaps also save a lot, where the relative saving is most
notable on 16 KB devices.