Re: [avr-gcc-list] Puzzling Simulavr behaviour

From: Hermann Kraus
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Puzzling Simulavr behaviour
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:19:45 +0200

Hello Erik,
WARNING: file ../../src/memory.c: line 148: **** Attempt to read invalid addr: 0x0460 WARNING: file ../../src/memory.c: line 148: **** Attempt to read invalid addr: 0x0461
I haven't checked where the errors exactly come from, but the are in gerneral only
two possibilities:
1. The perperial at this memory location is unimplemented, yet
or
2. There's a problem with avr-gdb. Ted said that this will be fixed in gdb6.0.

Throughout, the simulation works fine.
Simulavr-disp shows all the right things happening in the registers,
including the I/O ports.
Just don't worry about these warnings as long as everything works fine.

Trying to track the cause:
In simulavr, the warning arises in mem_read() when VDevice* dev == NULL.
This seems to suggest that the device is unknown, but the invocation is:
This test doesn't check if the device to be simulated to unknown, but rather if the internal V(irtual)Device for the corresponding memory location is known.

simulavr -d atmega16 -g -P simulavr-disp &
and the response is:

Simulating a atmega16 device.
This is the normal output. Every thing is ok so far.

Trying -d=atmega16 , as in the manpage synopsis, causes:
WARNING: file ../../src/main.c: line 348: Device not supported:
=atmega16
This was an error in the docs. I've fixed it and send the patch so the simulavr mailinglist.

and -datmega16 behaves the same as -d atmega16 .
Has anyone encountered something alike?
Check the mail archives.